Pages

Friday, February 14, 2020

FIRST TIME!


Friday, February 14, 2020

FIRST TIME!

Josh 3:3-4
3 And they commanded the people, saying, When ye see the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it.
4 Yet there shall be a space between you and it, about two thousand cubits by measure: come not near unto it, that ye may know the way by which ye must go: for ye have not passed this way heretofore.

           There is a scene in the movie Karate Kid that pictures Daniel, an aspiring martial artist, at the home of Mr. Miyagi who is trying to catch a fly with chop sticks. After a couple of near misses he snares the fly causing Daniel to say with amazement “how did you do that?” Mr. Miyagi calmly answers “don’t know. First time!”

           There have been a long list of “firsts” in my storied life, but I am now confronted with a few things that, honestly, I hadn’t planned for. Retirement from pastoral ministry does not mean retirement from the Christian faith or abandonment of my relationship with Christ. It means I’m about to snare a fly. Don’t ask me how it will happen because it is the first time.

           I do know that I need to keep God comfortably out front so that I can see Him leading. I also know that I must keep following even though the direction may be confusing to me. The Lord knows the way through the wilderness. All I have to do is follow.

Prov 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Dear Lord, I will keep encountering things for the first time until I see your face. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment