Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2020

BUT YOU’RE TOO YOUNG TO RETIRE!


Sunday, March 8, 2020

BUT YOU’RE TOO YOUNG TO RETIRE!

Ps 71:9
9 Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.

Prov 20:29
29 The glory of young men is their strength: and the beauty of old men is the gray head.

I can’t tell you how many times I have heard “you are too young to retire” in the past few months. Some who read this will not fully understand, because their bodies are young and strong. They are too busy living life at a youthful pace to consider the possibility of its end. But someone has said the long act of dying is the darkest part of death. Both at the beginning and at the end of life man is the weakest of creatures. At both times man is dependent upon others for assistance.

Growing old gracefully is much overrated! I sat not long ago with one I considered to be a young man and he said to me with deep emotion: “I am half past 40 and I am not prepared for being this old!” I smiled and said: “I felt the same way when I turned 60.” I am now well into the 70’s.

Just what are the emotions which accompany getting older? Let me suggest a few.
Ø We feel betrayed by an enemy who has crept up unaware.
Ø Our body, once strong, has proven unreliable and there is no remedy.
Ø Many goals have not been accomplished and slowly it dawns upon us that they will never be.
Ø We are angry at Satan and at the sin that eats away at us.

As a believer in Jesus Christ, there are some distinct advantages in growing older. Here are a few.
Ø Youthful strength bulls its way forward, but maturity and wisdom searches for a smarter way.
Ø Maturity is a time of mentoring. Much wisdom is available to the young who will just ask.
Ø Daring exploits give way to building relationships both with men and with God.

Ps 37:23-25
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. 24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand. 25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

Dear Lord, teach me to number my days that I may apply my heart unto wisdom. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment