Pages

Friday, March 4, 2022

UNANSWERED PRAYERS

 

Friday, March 4, 2022

 

UNANSWERED PRAYERS

 

2 Cor 12:7-9

7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

          Paul had been given a vision of paradise, the third heaven, and saw things that was “unlawful” to report (2 Cor. 12:1-5). This brief visit was likely the result of being stoned and left for dead (Acts 14:19-20). This, Paul thought, could have puffed him up with pride so, there was gifted to him a splinter in his flesh to remind him of his common human frailties.

 

          Waiting patiently is not one of my strengths. I wait impatiently. I pray and question and bargain with God. Just like you do. Ultimately God does what God does usually without explanation. Paul at least benefited from God’s revealed grace and steadfast strength. So do we if we will admit it.

 

          Instead of removing the “thorn,” God granted to Paul “favor, loving-kindness, and mercy.” This would be ENOUGH to see him through any danger and would provide for any need. This would enable Paul to bear his pain manfully.

 

          Cowardice in the face of great challenge is seldom lauded especially when it is reflected from the mirror.

 

Ps 31:24

24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.

 

Dear Lord, send your strength to the weak and your grace to the feeble. Perfect your power in times of great challenge. Aim David’s stone at Goliath’s head. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment