Pages

Monday, March 21, 2022

FEAR HAS TORMENTS

 

Monday, March 21, 2022

 

FEAR HAS TORMENTS

 

Job 3:25-26

25 For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.

26 I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; [I was not careless nor carefree] yet trouble came.

 

1 John 4:17-19

17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

19 We love him, because he first loved us.

 

          Job was a fearful man. He was afraid that his children might sin, so he offered sacrifices on their behalf. It seems that he lived cautiously and carefully so as not to invite God’s wrath. So fastidious was Job that he garnered the admiration of God and the anger of Satan. Job learned that fear has torments.

 

          John introduces two words that invites our deeper study, fear, and torment. Fear is the Greek word phobia, and we are familiar with that word because it has been borrowed from the Greeks and added to our English. Torment is the Greek word kolasis and refers, specifically, to the dread of punishment.

 

          John was encouraging believers to view the future day of judgment with “boldness” which does not mean brazenness but confidence. While I approach God with awe and respect, yet I can approach God without fear. (See Hebrews 10:18-22)

 

Isa 25:8-9

8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

9 And it shall be said in that day, Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.

 

Christ Receiveth Sinful Men

 

3 Now my heart condemns me not,

Pure before the law I stand;

He who cleansed me from all spot

Satisfied its last demand. [Chorus]

 

4 Christ receiveth sinful men,

Even me with all my sin;

Purged from ev’ry spot and stain,

Heav’n with Him I enter in. [Chorus]

 

Lord, your blood has purged my sin. Let me not be afraid. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment