Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

THE PRICE OF YOUR SOUL!


Tuesday, July 23, 2019

THE PRICE OF YOUR SOUL!

Matt 16:26
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

           Both Matthew and Mark record these words of Jesus but only Matthew records the phrase “or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” The word EXCHANGE is the Greek antallagma and it means an equivalent or ransom.

           Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. According to my sources, 30 pieces are about 5 weeks salary (based on a 6 day working week.) In terms of purchasing power, each silver piece was probably worth about $20. The standards of living were much lower than in modern (Western) societies. So the thirty pieces are worth about $600.

           Jesus spoke these words regarding a life devoted to following him. Just two verses earlier, Jesus said “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”

           Following Jesus is more than an occupation. It is a lifestyle. Why would I trade my relationship with Jesus for my career? Why would I trade friendship with Jesus for my friends? Why would I trade my life for my living or the temporary for the eternal. This is the real question.

Dear Lord, let me search for and find the true riches today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment