Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

FOLLOWING JESUS – THE REALITY OF DISCIPLESHIP!


Tuesday, July 30, 2019

FOLLOWING JESUS – THE REALITY OF DISCIPLESHIP!

Luke 9:23-24
23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

           I fear that today’s Christianity is founded on quick fixes to common problems and the promise of a trouble free life without restrictive rules that cramp lust’s freedom. When the natural consequence of ignorance, selfishness, and rebellion impact us we wonder why God is so cranky!

           Discipleship is much more than a twelve step program. It is a lifestyle learned through carefully following a role model. Sure, teaching is essential because right doctrine is important, but the true disciple is one who lives his life and makes his decisions in the same way Jesus would. This takes time to develop.

           Peter is the quintessential slow learner. He misunderstood the significance of the cross and rebuked his Master for even suggesting that he might go to the cross. He misunderstood the significance of the transfiguration of Jesus and suggested the witnesses remain on the mountain and erect three tabernacles to honor each of the characters he had seen. He misunderstood the significance of the lowered sheet of animals in his vision in Acts chapters 10 and 11. He denied the Lord three times – yet he was a disciple because he kept following.

John 10:27
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Dear Shepherd, guide me in a plain path and give me the courage and strength to follow. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment