Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2019

NUMBERING OUR DAYS!


Saturday, July 27, 2019

NUMBERING OUR DAYS!

Ps 90:12
12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

           I like to ask teens and even college students “What are you going to be when you grow up?” I do this intentionally to remind them that, at my age, I do not consider them to be full grown and that they need to consider their future and prepare for it wisely. Teens usually have either no plan at all or some dreamy idea of being a cowboy or a fireman. Their vision for the future is still childlike. College students are a bit more mature and some even have a plan of action but even their future is clouded in confusion.

           After more than forty-eight years of teaching truth, I think I will become a teacher of truth. I’ve grown quite tired of dealing with the fragile temperaments of self-perplexed souls and am prone to launch immediately into teaching mode. Heretofore, I might have first soothed the self-inflicted wounds of advice-seekers but now I tend to identify the problem – prescribe a cure – and forecast a result. Pulling thorns will cause pain but there can be no cure until it is done so it might as well be done quickly. I have only a residual portion of guilt for seeming to be uncaring but caring for the critically wounded spiritual patient causes me to urgently bark orders. I seem to be losing patience with the patients.

           I sometimes secretly wonder how much longer I can endure others! Wasn’t it Paul who said:  From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.” (Gal 6:17)? He bore the scars of spiritual combat and wanted only to be left alone. I suppose that means that some who needed him would have to deal with their own troubles. However, once the coffee and Tylenol kick in, compassion usually returns and I know that I am designed to be a caring person. It’s not what I do but who I am. I know that I am destined by design and calling to continue trying to obey Christ’s command outlined in the verse below.

Matt 10:7-8
7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Dear Father, let me fulfill my calling with energy and apply my heart unto wisdom. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment