Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2019

LET’S RUN AWAY!


Thursday, July 25, 2019

LET’S RUN AWAY!

Ps 55:6-7
6 And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. 7 Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness.

           In my mind I have the image of Oppie with all his valuables in a hobo’s handkerchief on a pole. Andy and Aunt Bea are quietly at home. Aunt Bea is just finishing up the supper dishes and Andy is catching up on the news by reading the Mayberry paper. It grows darker and Oppie is having second thoughts.

           As an adult, I often have thoughts of running away – not from home but from responsibilities. Everything is serious and urgent and I don’t have time to watch the sunset by looking eastward as the sky turns violet and the sun is golden on the far creek bottom trees. Yes, I often think about wandering off.

           Today is the 51st anniversary of the day before my wedding. There would be a rehearsal at church and a dinner later. Our apartment was ready but I didn’t want to spend my last single night alone. Instead, I stayed with my parents in their motel room. If that makes me seem weak then so be it. I wanted one more night as a child in the company of Mom and Dad.

           The human heart longs for a safe and peaceful refuge, far from the problems and burdens of life. My adult refuge is not a place but a Person.  “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.” 1 Peter 5:7

           The word translated "burden" means "that which he has given you," reminding us that even the burdens of life come from the loving heart and hand of God.

Dear Lord, sometimes I feel like running away. Let me rest in your pavilion and be at peace. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment