Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

RESERVED

 

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

 

RESERVED

 

Col 1:3-5

3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,

4 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,

5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven,

 

2 Tim 4:7-8

7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. 

 

           Twice, Paul used the phrase “laid up” which, in the Greek, requires only the single word apokeimai which means reserved. Both times, Paul is referring to what awaits the believer. Heaven and all its benefits.

 

          The famed Spurgeon, said, with all the “thee’s and thou’s” removed, “there is a place reserved for you, a crown laid up for you, a harp specially provided for you. No one else shall have your portion, it is reserved in heaven for you, and you shall have it ere long, for there shall be no vacant thrones in glory when all the chosen are gathered in.”

(from Spurgeon's Morning & Evening, Biblesoft formatted electronic database Copyright © 2014 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

 

          It is sad that we stay too busy to think of heaven. Some say such thoughts are morbid and that we should focus on the tasks at hand, but that is exactly my point. It is those earthly tasks that cloud our view of heavenly truth.

 

          There are no less than five crowns available for believers. One, the crown of righteousness (2 Tim. 4:8). Two, the crown of life for those who have been faithful through trials (Rev. 2:10). Three, the incorruptible crown for those who train hard and run the race (1 Cor. 9:25-27). Four, the shepherds crown, the crown of glory (1 Peter 5:1-4). Five, the crown of rejoicing, the soul-winner’s crown (1 Thess. 2:19-20).

 

There waits for me a glad tomorrow

Where gates of pearl swing open wide

And when I've passed this vale of sorrow

I'll dwell upon the other side

 

Some day beyond the reach of mortal ken

Some day God only knows just where and when

The wheels of mortal life shall all stand still

And I shall go to dwell on Zion's hill

 

Dear Lord, every now and then, let me ponder the wonders of Heaven. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment