Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

IT’S FRUSTRATING!

 

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

 

IT’S FRUSTRATING!

 

John 16:33

33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

 

Isa 41:10

10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

 

          I am impatient and often frustrated. I particularly dislike stupidity masquerading as smugness. I particularly enjoy ripping away that mask. In a land of pretend, Hans Christian Andersen pointed out that the Emperor had no clothes.

 

          These days, some of the most ignorant human specimens are seated in political opulence spewing foolishness to the hurt of the common good. Moreover, they are well paid to do so by electors who are even more ignorant. There are few things more frustrating to me than foolishness in a well-tailored suit.

 

          This is the world. This is what Jesus warned us about in John 16. The word “tribulation” is the Greek word thlipsis and it means “to be pressured; to be anguished; or burdened.” It is a heavy load that can’t be easily put aside.

 

          The word “dismayed” in Isaiah 41 is the Hebrew word shaw-aw which means “to gaze at; to be nonplussed; to stare in amazement.” Yes, this is the “deer in the headlights” look we give to unhidden and unashamed ignorance.

 

          Someone once asked D. L. Moody if he ever got tired of the work he was doing. Moody replied, “I’m tired IN the work but I’m not tired OF the work.”

 

          To those who are suffering tribulation, Jesus said to be of good cheer. To those who are dismayed, God reminds us that he is our God. He has everything under control.

 

Ps 37:5

5 Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

 

Dear Lord, foolishness makes me shake my head in wonder. I get frustrated. I want to lash out irrationally and I know that would only make things worse. Let me trust your authority and control. Let me rest in your peace. AMEN

 

No comments:

Post a Comment