Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2023

MY CUP RUNS OVER

 

Saturday, January 21, 2023

 

MY CUP RUNS OVER

 

Ps 23:5

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

 

          We are, or at least I am, often casually ungrateful. We have been blessed so much for so long that anything less than overabundance seems like want. I know that seems to be a harsh judgement, but our culture often witnesses against us.

 

          My daddy used to drink his coffee from a saucer. I would watch him do this and wonder why. I supposed that it was because the coffee was too hot to drink from the cup, but it may simply have been a hillbilly habit learned from his own father. We have been robbed of this one eccentricity by drive through coffee shops with paper cups and paper sleeves. There is no need to drink from one’s saucer because there is no saucer. Drinking from the saucer was a reminder that there was more than the cup could hold.

 

Oh, I've had lots of times when it seemed everything went wrong

I could feel my faith get, well, just a little bit thin

But the rain would stop, and dark clouds would roll away

The sun would come shining right back down in my life again.

So Lord don't let me gripe too much about the rough row I've hoed

'Cause I'm drinking from my saucer my cup has overflowed.

Bill Anderson, country singer

 

Dear Lord, my cup runs over, and I often forget to thank you for the abundance I ignore. Remind me that I have enough to share. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment