Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

OUR THORN – HIS GRACE!


Tuesday, April 30, 2019

OUR THORN – HIS GRACE!

2 Cor 12:7-9
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

           The narrative offers the reader no clue as to the nature of the skolops, or prickly thing, that was buffeting (rapping with the fist) Paul. Some think it was a stubborn and rebellious wife for members of the Sanhedrin were to be married yet no wife is ever mentioned for Paul. Others think it was an eye disease which was perhaps a lingering result of his being blinded on the road to Damascus. Yet the Holy Spirit cleverly leaves it a mystery so that each one of us may imagine it to be our very own thorn.

           For busy people, those with a long list of things on their agenda, it may be distractions. We view those distractions as enemies and we chafe while dealing with them instead of working through our list. We try to do it graciously but often those distracting us are painfully aware that we don’t have time for them. They are offended and sometimes we lose that distracting friend. It is maddening to the busy person for he knows he will need that friend – as soon as he is done with his projects.

           The grace, charis, here has a definite article, ho. It is THE grace. It is HIS grace. My sources say that grace is “the divine influence on the heart that is reflected in the life.” Another said that grace is “the desire and ability to do God’s will.”

           Many thorns may clog your path today. These are your very own thorns and not mine. I have a set with my name on them! Let’s develop the desire to do God’s will and ask God to give us the ability also.

Dear Lord, we know that sometimes thorns keep us from thinking we are strong enough and smart enough to perform our tasks without your help. Thank you for reminding us that we are wrong about that. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment