Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2019

CHILDISH THINGS!


Thursday, April 4, 2019

CHILDISH THINGS!

1 Cor 13:11
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

           The Greek word which Paul uses here is nepios and it literally means “not speaking.” The idea conveyed is an infant not yet able to talk. He babbles, bubbles, whimpers, cries, and throws tantrums because his ability to communicate is not yet developed. It is here used to define an immature Christian. He does not make good decisions because those faculties are not fully developed. Hopefully he will grow but if he does not grow the word nepios also refers to a simpleton. That is always tragic.

           We have a wonderful treasure in the completed Bible. We can hold it in our hands, listen to it on some audio device, or read it in many translations and versions on our computers or phones. The Corinthians only had small portions of it because it had not, in those days, been completed. The first Bible in print was the Gutenberg Bible which was completed on October 22, 1454. Bibles were so precious and costly that they were literally chained to the pulpits.

 Heb 5:14-6:1
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
6 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God.

2 Peter 1:3
3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Dear Lord, I already have everything I need to live a life of godliness and fruitfulness. I have the wisdom of the Word to aid me in making right decisions. Let me put away childishness and press ahead to maturity. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment