Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2019

JESUS WASHES HIS DISCIPLES’ FEET!


Thursday, April 18, 2019

JESUS WASHES HIS DISCIPLES’ FEET!

John 13:12-17
12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

           Today is known as Maundy Thursday to many Christians. It commemorates the Last Supper and the washing of the disciples’ feet by Jesus. The word maundy comes to us from the Latin and means “a command.” It refers to verse 14 as a command to wash one another’s feet. Some Christian groups see foot washing as an ordinance like baptism and communion, although we do not see it survive through the years. The practice seems to fade away in the early church.

           The word “example,” in verse 15 is the Greek hupodeigma and means “a pattern.” Verse 14 uses the Greek opheilo for the word “ought.” While not an outright command, it indicates a debt (of humility and service) owed.

           The idea seems clear to me. Jesus was saying “I’m going away. I won’t be here to referee your petty arguments. You will do better if you abandon your competitive, selfish ways and assume a more cooperative attitude.”

Mark 10:45
45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Dear Lord, please sound an alarm within me whenever I act selfishly or foolishly. Let me follow your pattern of humility and service. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment