Pages

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

WRESTLING WITH GOD!



WRESTLING WITH GOD!

Gen 32:24-28
24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.
28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

Ps 119:133
133 Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.

           Jacob was a wrestler even prior to his birth. He wrestled with his twin brother for the first opportunity to exit the womb! Though he was number two in order a string around his wrist gave him first-born authority. He continued to wrestle and manipulate circumstances throughout his life. He was crafty! He was a problem solver! He was independent!

           Jacob’s rugged individualism was confronted by the Lordship of the Almighty. The issue was whether Jacob would continue to rule his life or would he yield to the superior leadership of God. Jacob stubbornly wrestled until God was forced to wound him to bring him into submission. Then God blessed him and changed his name. He would no longer be a wrestler but a prince!

           I am a wrestler too. In some ways my life has been one long selfish struggle with a superior force. Sometimes God has used that stubbornness to accomplish His purposes but generally God has had to wrestle me to the ground and subdue me. Sometimes He has been forced to wound me so that He could bless me. I find comfort in knowing that Paul was also a wrestler stubbornly “kicking against the pricks” (Acts 26:14).

           Perhaps you too are considering wrestling with God. Please know that He has superior strength. His ways are wiser than our own. He sees more clearly than any of us. His way is perfect.

           Like a puppy with a new collar and leash, we struggle with our owner until we learn that where He is trying to lead us is a place of peace and plenty. Ultimately we learn to trust and the leash comes off and we crawl up into the lap of the Master who smoothes our head. Ah, the contentment of surrender!

Dear Lord, help me to abandon my struggle and receive your blessing. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment