Pages

Friday, June 2, 2017

LIFTING OUR EYES TO HIM



LIFTING OUR EYES TO HIM!

Ps 123:1-2
123:1 A Song of degrees.
Unto thee lift I up mine eyes, O thou that dwellest in the heavens.
2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the LORD our God, until that he have mercy upon us.

Brother Lawrence (1611-1691) was a layman with no formal training, who worked during his adult years in the kitchen of a monastery in France. This devout disciple discovered the practice of living moment by moment in "the presence of God". He said: “"I make it my business only to persevere in His holy presencean habitual, silent, and secret conversation of the soul with God."

Have you ever wondered why we close our eyes when talking to God in prayer? I think I know. We close our eyes to block out the distractions of the now world. The eyelids become a time and dimension switch so that, when closed, we are transported to the presence of God. When I close my eyes I am with God and He is with me. Like John we see marvelous things when we are “in the Spirit.”

John 14:16-17
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Like a butler or maid waits for the hand signals of the master, we wait for His signal. Our eyes are fixed on Him so that we do not miss one small movement that would give us direction. We watch his face for favor or disfavor. We watch for a smile or a wink.

There are other times when we are not serving but just spending time together. We feel his arm around us in tender embrace or, like a child with a father; we walk hand-in-hand through pleasant places. Those are my favorite times! I am off duty and so is He; the day is done and we walk together in the cool of the evening. It is for these times I close my eyes to the world.

Dear Lord, thank you for being there every time I close my eyes. How sweet is our fellowship together! Thank you for the presence of your indwelling Holy Spirit. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment