Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2017

A FATHER TO THE FATHERLESS



A FATHER TO THE FATHERLESS

Ps 68:5-6
5 A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation.
6 God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.

           Fatherless has a hollow sound to it. It speaks of a significant void where something significant ought to be. Ah, but it isn’t empty at all. In my mind there are pictures of my father and memories, like short movies. He’s still there. Archived in the depths of – what – my heart? Yes, more than the mind, those images are in my heart.

           I remember his look, his laugh, and his tears. No one piece of advice stands out but a collage of wisdom follows me still whispering in my ear. He still reminds me of things that should be done and warns me of things that should definitely not be done. He has already travelled the roads of wisdom and folly and now marks them for me. Perhaps this is too much lavish praise. Perhaps not enough.

           My heavenly Father supersedes all others who are praiseworthy. He is consistent in His wisdom and stubbornly steadfast in His love. My foolishness does not cause Him to abandon His hope for nor His plans for my success. He encourages me when I try and goads me when I do not. The aim is the same. I wobble on the high wire of endeavor with His safety net beneath. When I fall I shall not be utterly cast down! (Psalm 37:24)

Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for sheltering me and investing in me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment