Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2017

REPLACING GOD



REPLACING GOD!

Ex 32:3-4
3 And all the people brake off the golden earrings which were in their ears, and brought them unto Aaron.
4 And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

           Moses was away receiving the Law from God. The people were busily abandoning all restraints. Moses was face with the Sublime while the people had fashioned the ridiculous. Moses was communing with the Divine while the people were enjoying debauchery. How does such a thing happen?

           Fast forward more than two thousand years and we should have matured as a race beyond golden calves but we have not. Because the blessings of God are not fresh in our minds we abandon Him to things seemingly more tangible. We drift from our moorings and go after something that will fill what we perceive as a void. But what has taken the place of God in our lives?

           If you no longer attend the evening services of your church, think and try to identify the void you felt when you abandoned worship. Now, think of what you have inserted into that blank space. Is it Holy? Does it rescue you when you are in the ditch? Does it love you with an everlasting love? Does it receive you and embrace you even in your imperfection? Does it hear you when you pray?

           I have learned that, in those times when God seems far away, He is working hardest on my behalf. He is busy for me even when He is not busy with me. Like Solomon, I have learned that nothing can be inserted into that felt void. I have learned to wait. I have learned that there are some things I should not, cannot, and do not control. Who can adequately measure God for a replacement?

Acts 17:24-25
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

Almighty God, since I cannot measure all that you are, let me wait patiently for you to work out all your plans for me today. Let me not replace you with ridiculous things. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment