Pages

Saturday, June 17, 2017

MEMORIES OF MY FATHER



MEMORIES OF MY FATHER!

Eph 6:1-4
6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

           June is not only the month in which we find Father’s Day, it is the month in which my own father was both born and died. Dad was born on June 26, 1917 and died on June 21, 2001, just five days short of his 84th birthday. I miss him.

It is a terrible thing to be “fatherless” even when you are fully grown with children and grand-children of your own. There is a place deep inside where the memory of Dad still dwells. I can go there and review a photo album of memories. I can see how he dressed, how he walked and talked and even how he responded to troubling situations. I can see how he responded to the needs of those less fortunate while at the same time being disgusted at those who simply would not do for themselves. I can choose from the best of his character, sorting out the best of his nature and comparing it with my own. Every now and then I can see huge parts of him in the mirror. Sometimes I turn and stare half expecting him to speak to me. 

           Since the commandment is to honor my father, I wonder how I might best do that today. I can’t take him to dinner or go fishing with him. He never was one for receiving gifts. I think the best way to honor my father is to assemble a list of his best qualities and emulate them. Next I think I should assemble a list of his worst qualities and forgive them and reject them.

Dear Lord, since my father is closer to you than me today, would you please give him a hug for me? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment