Pages

Monday, January 29, 2018

SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN!



SEVENTY TIMES SEVEN!

Matt 18:21-22
21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

           Peter presents Jesus with a common problem. Someone sins against us and does not apologize or ask forgiveness. How should we respond? Moreover, the offender wants to resume the relationship as if nothing ever happened. How can we forget the hurt they caused?

           Regarding forgiveness, the Rabbi’s taught that three times was sufficient! Peter doubles that and then adds one. Surely seven would seem most gracious. The Lord trumps Peter’s addition with multiplication and offers 490 times as reasonable. Jesus then follows up with a parable which shows us ALL to be guilty. Forgiveness is a Divine prerogative!

           However, for the sake of sanity, I recommend setting boundaries and restricting access to the one who is persistent in offenses. Prov 4:14 says:” Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.” The idea of establishing boundaries is a natural and a biblical one.

Dear Lord, surely today someone will sin against me and I will likely sin against another. Let me be quick to repent and just as quick to forgive. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment