Pages

Sunday, January 7, 2018

I’M GLAD IT’S SUNDAY!



I’M GLAD IT’S SUNDAY!

Ps 122:1 A Song of degrees of David.
I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.

Ps 84:10
10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

           When I was a kid we would twine our fingers together just so and stick both forefingers up together while we said: “Here is the church; here is the steeple; open the door and see all the people.” Then we would turn our fists inside out and wiggle our fingers animating the people inside. I’m not sure even now what that illustrated but it is almost a universal childhood favorite.

           Now that I am a pastor the great joy of my heart is to “see all the people.” Each one energizes me as I greet them on Sunday morning. Fresh from a week of toil and sometimes trouble there is a change that comes over them as they enter the house of the Lord. You can see the smiles and sometimes hear the sighs as the hurt drains from them when they clasp hands in brotherhood.

           “Church clothes” have changed considerably in recent days and may be a full business suit but often it is simply a clean, fresh and comfortable garment of praise. Whatever their business, they have set aside the gritty garments of toil. Their faces shine. The regulars gather to renew fellowship with their once-a week friends.

           The choir assembles along with a tumble of musicians and the sweet sounds of worship rise in honor of our Lord. Singing is a joy whether the songs are new or old. The object of our praise is the Ancient of Days! The very idea of harmony celebrates diversity amidst unity. I’m really glad it’s Sunday.

Ps 95:1-6
95:1 O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.
2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.
3 For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods.
4 In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also.
5 The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land.
6 O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.

Dear Lord, my heart is rejoicing because soon I will join with my brothers and sisters, my friends, in worshipping you. Thank you for Sundays. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment