Pages

Thursday, January 4, 2018

HYPOCRITE!



HYPOCRITE!

Rom 7:19
19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

           Who was Paul talking about here? He was talking about himself. He was bemoaning his own inability to become and remain righteous – even in his own eyes. He was disappointed in his own spiritual performance. Oh, inside there was a great desire to do good but he simply didn’t do the right things. I expect we are all familiar with this scenario.

           We have only three options when we are confronted with our own poor performance. One, we can deny that it is so and pretend that we are successful in doing the right thing. This, however, does not calm the nagging truth inside that we are often failures at doing right.

           The second option is to distract attention from ourselves and pursue other offenders. This makes us a Pharisee which is exactly what Paul was when he met Jesus on the road to Damascus. That’s why Jesus said: “It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks!” It was hard to keep pretending and distracting. Sin needed to be dealt with.

           The third and best option is to confess our failure and run to Jesus. Paul confessed: “ For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.” (Romans 7:18) Paul then thanks God for deliverance in verses 24 and 25 and the clouds of chapter 7 evaporate in the sunlight of chapter 8.

Rom 8:1
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Dear Lord, often I am disappointed in myself but I’ve never been disappointed in you. Thank you! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment