Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

WHY SO SERIOUS?


WHY SO SERIOUS?


Titus 1:7-9
7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.


          Wow! That is quite a job description! I’m surprised I landed this job. I’m not always sure what the “boss” thinks of my performance but He is always patient with me. Since the word “bishop” would be the same as “pastor” today, I try to take all these things seriously and that is not easy for a man with a well developed sense of humor.

          I am a bit of a kid at heart and often would prefer to play with the kids. I understand how easily they can turn most anything into a toy. I once broke my glasses chasing through the house with my nephew. We both had new, battery powered, space guns and I was pursuing my prey with abandon. I saw the door frame. It came at me very fast and with great violence. All the adults told us kids to settle down and I personally heard “I told you so.” Ah, well, back to reality!

          The word “sober” means to be “serious or grave in mood or disposition.” I am often sober. I see the results of sin in the lives of my church members and marvel that they so easily get themselves into terrible situations. I often wonder if I have failed to warn them adequately. I can get totally lost in these dark spiraling thoughts and perhaps that’s why I prefer to romp with the children.

          Please understand that life is short, eternity is long and death always comes as a surprise. Please understand that heaven is sweet and hell is hot. Please understand that Satan hates you, Jesus loves you and that you really decide your destiny by your choices. I guess this is what it means to be sober.


Dear Lord, let me travel through life with a smile on my face and an ache in my heart. Please make both of those things to bear fruit for you. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment