Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

BALANCING RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE!


BALANCING RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE!


John 4:23-29
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.
27 And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?
28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,
29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?


          The search for the word “emotion” or “emotional” is futile in the King James Version. The word “passion” refers to Christ’s death and is translated from a Greek word that means “to suffer.” Therefore, the search for religious fervor and feeling is hard to track. Even the word “zeal” is often used in a bad way to describe the Pharisees. Our quest is for balance and I think I have found it at a well in Samaria.

The woman at the well in Samaria was a disillusioned former worshipper. She was caught between the denominational demagoguery of the Samaritans and the Jews and was finally trapped in the cynical reality of an irreligious life. Her question to Jesus was both an accusation and an urgent plea. Where and how should I worship? Jesus answered both her questions!

As to where, Jesus answered with “neither!” For the Samaritans seemed to lack knowledge (see verse 21) and the Jews had lost their heart for true worship. But what does it mean to worship “in spirit and in truth?” Only those who have the indwelling Holy Spirit, and who obey the truth, can worship God acceptably. Beyond that, it’s personal.

Regarding a right relationship with God, churches, denominations, sects, cults and other religious groups promote religious experiences as diverse and dramatic as conversions at camp meetings and revivals, the glossolalia (speaking in tongues) of the charismatics, the silent worship of the Quakers, and the stately liturgy of Catholics and Episcopalians. (from Dictionary of Christianity in America, edited by Daniel G. Reid, Robert D. Linder, Bruce L. Shelley and Harry S. Stout. © 1990 by InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/USA; published by InterVarsity Press. All rights reserved.) We are left asking the same question as the baffled woman; “where and how should we worship?”

The word “spirit” in verse 24 is the Greek word pneuma and it is NOT capitalized in the text so it does not, in this case, refer to the Holy Spirit. The basic meaning of the word is “breath” but also can mean “the rational soul or mental disposition.” We understand Jesus to mean that spiritual worship is internal and not external. The expression of my worship is personal and diverse. It is genuine and unique.

In verse 24 the word “truth” simply refers to that which is actual and factual. This is why Paul told Timothy to study in Second Timothy 2:15. The more we know of the truth the more completely we will be able to obey the truth.

As to my personal expression of worship, I suppose I am a pragmatist. I tend to work methodically based upon the truth I know. When I am “in the spirit” I do not express myself in public and open displays of emotion, as do some, nor do I practice the silence of the Quakers. I most often weep. I just weep. It is a personal thing and it is precious.


Dear Lord, today let me worship you in spirit and in truth. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment