Pages

Monday, July 3, 2023

THE NEED FOR STRUCTURE

 

Monday, July 3, 2023

 

THE NEED FOR STRUCTURE

 

Titus 1:4-5

4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

¶ 5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

 

1 Cor 11:34

34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

 

          Paul, on at least two occasions, declared the need for structure. Writing to Titus, he explained why he left his disciple in Crete. There seems to be some evidence that Titus had requested to be released from his Cretan duties. Perhaps it was the very chaos of the task that caused him to resist.

 

          If you read a bit further in Titus, you will see that Paul gave a detailed list of qualifications for elders. Structure was necessary. Some may call them “standards” although that word has fallen out of favor of late.

 

          In Corinth, Paul issues a warning similar to a mother’s familiar “wait till your father gets home.” He had been addressing improprieties regarding the observance of the Lord’s Supper. A memorial and symbolic meal had declined into feasting and drunkenness. Then, he promised to “straighten things out” when he arrived.

 

          I have discovered that I need structure in my life. A glass of water is just a spill without the glass.

 

Dear Lord, please help me to add structure and discipline to my life. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment