Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

DAVID BEN JESSE PART FIVE!

 

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

 

DAVID BEN JESSE PART FIVE!

 

FAMILY TROUBLE


2 Sam 12:13-14

13 And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.

14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

 

2 Sam 12:10-11

10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.

11 Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will raise up evil against thee out of thine own house …

 

           David’s sin with Bathsheba made him a murderer and her a widow. Everything seemed fine because, as far as anyone knew, David had made everything right by marrying his neighbor and adopting her unborn child. See there? It’s fixed! No one will ever know.

 

           Along comes Nathan, the prophet with a cruel story of a greedy sheep owner. The story resonated with the shepherd King and he passed sentence upon himself. Oh, how righteous we can become when we see our sin being worn by another! We want justice for others and mercy for ourselves.

 

           Actions have consequences! Nathan told David that he would have family trouble all of his days. His son would depose him and drive him from the throne. That same long-haired son would die dangling from a tree. David’s captain would shoot Absalom full of arrows.

 

Ps 51:1-3

51 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.

 

Dear Lord, when we are tempted, give us a vision that sees beyond the momentary pleasure to the lifetime of consequences. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment