Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2020

SECOND GUESSING OURSELVES!


Thursday, April 23, 2020

SECOND GUESSING OURSELVES!

Judg 6:36-40
36 And Gideon said unto God, If thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said, 37 Behold, I will put a fleece of wool in the floor; and if the dew be on the fleece only, and it be dry upon all the earth beside, then shall I know that thou wilt save Israel by mine hand, as thou hast said. 38 And it was so: for he rose up early on the morrow, and thrust the fleece together, and wringed the dew out of the fleece, a bowl full of water. 39 And Gideon said unto God, Let not thine anger be hot against me, and I will speak but this once: let me prove, I pray thee, but this once with the fleece; let it now be dry only upon the fleece, and upon all the ground let there be dew. 40 And God did so that night: for it was dry upon the fleece only, and there was dew on all the ground.

           If I only had a sheep skin and a patient and understanding God! Then would I fling the fleece upon the ground and ask God to perform not one miracle but two. Why? Because self-doubt is as strong in me as in any man.

           The angel first addressed Gideon as a “mighty man of valour” but Gideon did not feel mighty, did not feel like a man of valour, and perhaps questioned his manliness. Then God asked him to engage in a conflict that was uncertain, but first God reduced his troops drastically. An uncertain outcome now seemed doomed to failure. Gideon’s timid spirit needed assurances.

           We have been quarantined now for nearly 40 days. Churches have remained closed to worshippers and, frankly, it often seems contrived. After much prayer, investigation, and angst, I have decided to re-open church. I have friends who have applauded this decision and they may be right. I also have dear friends who think I am foolish, and they are probably right as well. Yes, I’m second guessing – but at some point, I must break my pitcher, and shine my light.

           The God who knows all is very patient with we who know very little. He who is all victorious is encouraging to we who are so very prone to failure. I cannot approach any challenge without Him. I will not.

Prov 16:33
33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.

Dear Lord, I am not the answer to my dilemma, YOU are. I am not Your helper – You are mine. Thank you for your assurances. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment