Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2018

BROKENNESS IN WORSHIP!


Saturday, September 1, 2018

BROKENNESS IN WORSHIP!

Luke 20:17-18
17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?
18 Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

I’ve had the occasion to witness more than a few “worship” services where very few strums of the guitar or beat of the drums can cause a few hands to shoot skyward. These pew-dwellers seem to have an instant-on button for their worship posture. I am a skeptic by nature and often wonder whether many of these are genuine. I have a similar opinion as the Apostle James.

James 2:18-20
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Jesus gives us a short statement about Himself as the corner stone and we need some further investigation to understand it. “Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.” It seems we have only two options. We can fall upon Jesus and be broken or we can have him fall upon us and grind us to powder.

The idea of “falling upon” the stone may mean to “light upon a firm footing.” At least that is what the Spirit seems to be saying to me. If I light upon or fall upon Jesus, as a firm foundation for my life, the result will be brokenness because that relationship requires honesty and openness. I can not allow transparency with Jesus without suffering shame for my deeds! But if I dally and wait till Jesus falls upon me, in judgment, I will be ground to powder.

Ps 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Dear Lord, when I stand in your presence, I am broken and ashamed but you lift me up and set me on your firm foundation. Thank you, Lord. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment