Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2018

NOT WORTHY!


Thursday, September 20, 2018

NOT WORTHY!

Gen 32:10
10 I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which thou hast shewed unto thy servant; for with my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I am become two bands.

Mark 1:6-7
6 And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;
7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.

           I have been in the service of the King of Kings for more than forty years. I am now enjoying a ministry I resisted at the beginning. Through those years He has brought me through many trials and showered blessings upon me. The Scriptures we have selected this morning show two reasons for feeling unworthy.

           My inferiority makes me feel unworthy. Jacob surveyed his life and remembered that he was a schemer, a cheat and a liar. He sold a pot of beans for the dear price of his brother’s birthright and then, with the help of his mother, lied to his father to receive the patriarchal blessing. He began his career as a con man working a shell game. Now, as he prepares to return, he has two wives and, as he said, “two bands.” He started his journey with nothing but a staff in his hand and a stone for his pillow. He knows he has been blessed. This speaks of the grace of God.

           His superiority makes me feel unworthy. John the Baptist knew he was unworthy to loosen the ties of the Master’s sandals. This would be the beginning motion of washing feet, a task reserved for the meanest of servants. But John did not see himself small. He saw Jesus great! He knew Jesus to be the Son of the Great God whose feet had walked the starry heavens. All the synoptic gospels record John’s opinion and it is then repeated in the Acts. “I am not worthy to loosen his shoe!” This speaks of the greatness of God.

           Both witnesses testify against me. I am unworthy because of who I am and I am unworthy because of who He is. Ah, but He has declared me to be worthy of adoption. He has forgiven my sin and made me His peculiar treasure.

1 Peter 2:9-10
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

Great God, I started with nothing because I am nothing. You have made me significant and valuable by your grace alone. Thank you, Lord! AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment