Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

REMEMBERING 9-11-01


Tuesday, September 11, 2018

REMEMBERING 9-11-01

2 Sam 22:1-4
22 And David spake unto the Lord the words of this song in the day that the Lord had delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul: 2 And he said, The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; 3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. 4 I will call on the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.

           I remember it like it was yesterday. September 11, 2001 was another Tuesday. I was attending a fellowship meeting of pastors. We were gathered in the church kitchen and dining hall when many of the preachers began receiving phone calls. Their faces were worried. Some left without saying a word. Others told of an unbelievable horror. One poor fellow was trying to preach as if nothing had happened but the world had changed!

           I finally received a call from my secretary who was watching the unspeakable on television in our missionary apartment. I remember exactly what she said. “Oh, preacher it is awful!”  Awful did not begin to describe it. Hijackers had boarded commercial planes and had flown them into the Twin Towers in New York City – a symbol of our financial strength. Another hit the Pentagon – the symbol of our military might. Yet another seemed to be headed toward the capital – seat of our government. The heroism of a few on board prevented that. It crashed in a field in Pennsylvania --  across the road from a church which was pastored by a friend of mine.

           I sped home although I was only 23 miles away. I could have been stopped by police at any time because at no time did I heed the speed limit signs! My wife was a substitute teacher and I wanted to reunite with her and be safe. I found my secretary inconsolable and joined her to watch the news.

           Our Wednesday night Bible Study was crowded by worshippers who had long ago abandoned the Prayer Meeting. Now the altar was flooded with those who were once complacent. Alas, we have returned to that former state but – for a moment – we were reminded that “He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved (Psalm 62:2).”

Sweet Jesus, be diligent and vigilant for us today. You only are our rock and our strong defense. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment