Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2018

THE MARK IS REMOVED!


Thursday, August 16, 2018

THE MARK IS REMOVED!

Ps 130:1-4
130 Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Lord.
2 Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
3 If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.

           The word “mark” is the Hebrew shamar and it literally means “to hedge about as with thorns.” I well remember in grade school the ugliness of the hated red pencil. That red pencil “marked” all the errors on what I thought was a perfect test or paper. The teacher carefully investigated my pristine offering and circled every flaw. Then she gave my work a grade – also in bright red – and circled it. It was devastating.

           Adam Clarke comments on this Scripture this way: “If thou shouldst set down every deviation in thought, word, and deed from thy holy law; and if thou shouldst call us into judgment for all our infidelities, both of heart and life; O Lord, who could stand? Who could stand such a trial, and who could stand acquitted in the judgment? This is a most solemn saying; and if we had not the doctrine that is in the next verse, who could be saved?

           The word “but” in verse 4 is a common conjunction that implies that while the former is true there is an alternative. Yes indeed, there are iniquities BUT there is forgiveness with God!

Col 2:14
[Jesus] Blotted out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross.

Dear Lord, Thank you for removing the ugly marks that encircled my errors. Thank you for nailing my debts to your cross. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment