Pages

Thursday, May 25, 2017

THREE SPIRITS DAVID PRAYED FOR



THREE SPIRITS DAVID PRAYED FOR!

Ps 51:10
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Ps 51:12
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Ps 51:17
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

After King David’s tragic affair with Bathsheba, he cries out to God for a spirit characterized by these three things.

1. A RIGHT SPIRIT!

The word “right” properly means to be erect or to stand perpendicular and indicates steadfastness. It was a failure of steadfastness that had brought David to this place.

2. A FREE SPIRIT!

The word “free” properly means “voluntary” or “to be willing.” Isn’t that what we all need this morning? Don’t we need to be willing to say yes to God? When David said “uphold me” he is asking God to sustain him in a way in which he had just recently failed. He did not want to be stubborn or contrary. When God speaks a command, David wanted to be willing.

3. A BROKEN SPIRIT!

Brokenness releases the sweet perfume of submission and sacrifice. When our stiff and unyielding spirit bursts there is produced a relationship of openness that is not possible between God and an obstinate person. I want my spirit to understand that God’s ways are right. I want to feel it emotionally and not just to know it intellectually.

Dear Lord, slay my ungodly self – soften my impenetrable hardness – bring low my haughty pride. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment