Pages

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

SIGNS OF SPIRITUAL MATURITY



SIGNS OF SPIRITUAL MATURITY!

1 Cor 13:11
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

           The Greek word for “childish” here is nepios which indicates a simple minded person. It seems a bit proud to even begin a discussion on the topic of spiritual maturity because it implies that I think myself to be spiritually mature and indicates a sneering pride. I hope that is not what you are thinking.

           I have observed in many professing believers a childishness that is almost shocking. Children are, at the outset, demanding and self focused. If they are hungry, wet or in need of a change, they cry until someone notices them and begins an investigation into whatever it is that is bothering them. Their comfort and satisfaction are always of primary importance.

           Children are irresponsible and can’t be counted on to perform beyond basic duties. They like to play and will turn any task into a game even if it destroys productivity in the process. They become bored easily and require stimulation and entertainment to keep them from abandoning a project. If it is not fun they are not interested.

           But we have to move a couple of verses down to verse 13 if we are to understand what Paul is trying to communicate. In a long list of spiritual gifts, some of which are still very controversial, Paul focuses on only three which endure. Faith, hope, and charity, or love, continues to grow to maturity and will never become outdated.

           Immature believers find it hard to recognize maturity while mature believers have no trouble identifying spiritual childishness. It is hard to make it sound like anything but pride to those who are immature.

Heb 5:11-14
11 (Jesus) Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.
12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Dear Lord, show me my own childishness that I might abandon those things. Help me to learn responsibility, integrity, and honor. Help me to grow up. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment