Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2017

SUCCEEDING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION



SUCCEEDING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!

Eccl 2:8-11
8 I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts.
9 So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me.
10 And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour.
11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

           The meaning of the word “vanity” has changed. Now it means “undue pride in oneself or one’s appearance.” The word, as it was used by Solomon, means “empty, tasteless and unsatisfactory.” Solomon was saying: “All my pursuits accomplished what I had wished for but left my soul discontented and peeved.”

           I have sometimes too much opportunity to witness the vain pursuits of people. I watch them as they seek love only to find a contentious relationship. They seek wealth only to lose rest. They seek children and family only to find heartache. They seek fame only to lose identity. Life for many is only vanity and vexation of spirit. Thankfully, Solomon gave us some good advice in the end.

Eccl 12:13-14
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Dear Father, I have chased after unsatisfactory things long enough. Let me succeed in the right direction. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment