Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

THE MEASURE


THE MEASURE!



Eph 4:7

7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.



Ps 23:5

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.



           The word “gift” in Ephesians 7 is the Greek word dorea and it literally means “a gratuity.” If I go to a restaurant, I understand that my wait person does not make much money and that it is expected that I leave a tip. Nevertheless, the tip is unearned and, more often than not, undeserved. So it is with God’s grace.



           Grace is unmerited favor and flows from the generous hand of God. Now we learn that it is given in measure and it is given individually. In other words, God gives me MY measure! It is enough to meet my needs and it fills MY cup. Deut 33:25 promises us that “ as thy days, so shall thy strength be.” The psalmist felt overly blessed and so he tells us that his cup was overflowing.



           If grace is unmerited favor, why does God only give it in measure? I think it is because it is given as needed. Today I may need much grace or perhaps less than yesterday. I didn’t and still don’t deserve it but God fills my emptiness with His grace. Gifts are not toys to play with. They are tools to build with.



           James Ryle asks another important question regarding grace. I quote him here: “If Grace is “unmerited favor” then why can you fall from grace? Why would God freely give me something I clearly do not deserve, and then make it possible for me to lose it if I don’t start acting like I deserve it? Do I get it for free, but then have to keep it by my behavior?”



Gen 32:10

Jacob said: I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which thou hast shewed unto thy servant; for with my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I am become two bands.



Dear Lord, I lift my empty cup to you today. I don’t deserve the least of all thy mercies, but please give me the measure you know I need today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment