Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

LEAVING A GODLY LEGACY


LEAVING A GODLY LEGACY!



Josh 24:13-15

13 And I have given you a land for which ye did not labour, and cities which ye built not, and ye dwell in them; of the vineyards and oliveyards which ye planted not do ye eat.

14 Now therefore fear the Lord , and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord .

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord , choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord .



Merriam Webster defines legacy as: “something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past.” Traditions are passed from generation to generation. Joshua had received a legacy from his leader, Moses. After Moses’ death he was given the challenge of leading the nation of Israel into the Promised Land. In taking up that challenge, he left a legacy of firm resolve.



On Friday I hope to attend the funeral of the second great preacher that has died this year. Both left a vast legacy of godliness that continues to influence men and women for good. I, and others, look around and wonder who will take up their weighty mantles of leadership. I pray that I may not weaken the legacy through dissipation.



The devotional question is this: “What legacy am I leaving?” How will I be remembered and what will be my lasting influence? We live in a generation that loathes to ask such questions. Such questions are morose and our current climate is one of exuberant abandon. Yet the question lingers in the air like the scent of roses on a grave.



Serving God in sincerity and truth can only result from a free and willing allegiance of the heart. This is precisely what Joshua invites, as Moses had done before him.



Deut 30:15

15 See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil.



Dear Lord, let me live my life so as to influence future generations for godliness. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment