Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

THE HEART LAGS BEHIND!


THE HEART LAGS BEHIND!


Prov 23:26
26 My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Matt 15:8
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Heb 3:12-13
12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.


          The whole course of life is upset by failure to put God where He rightfully belongs. The problem is that the heart is deceitful above all things and even deceives itself (Jeremiah 17:9). Like Peter, we may declare our intention to die with Christ, if necessary, only to deny Him three times when the pressure is on. We just don’t know our own heart.

          The mind may agree to this “God-above-all” position but the heart may lag behind. Until and unless God has your heart, religion can’t be practiced with any degree of regularity or success. The mind says yes but the heart keeps holding back! “The whole man must make the decision before the heart can know any real satisfaction. God wants us all, and he will not rest till He gets us all.” (A. W. Tozer The Pursuit of God)

          I usually finish each devotional with a suggested prayer. This morning I can think of none better than the one Tozer himself uses to close chapter nine. It is long so I will share only some essential portions.

O God, be Thou exalted over my possessions. Nothing of earth’s treasures shall seem dear unto me if only Thou art glorified in my life. Be thou exalted over my friendships. I am determined that Thou shall be above all, though I must stand deserted and alone in the midst of the earth. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment