Pages

Saturday, August 9, 2014

DON’T MEDDLE WITH MEDDLERS!


DON’T MEDDLE WITH MEDDLERS!


Ps 35:12-15
12 They rewarded me evil for good to the spoiling of my soul.
13 But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom.
14 I behaved myself as though he had been my friend or brother: I bowed down heavily, as one that mourneth for his mother.
15 But in mine adversity they rejoiced, and gathered themselves together: yea, the abjects gathered themselves together against me, and I knew it not; they did tear me, and ceased not:

Prov 20:19
19 He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.

Prov 24:21
21 My son, fear thou the Lord  and the king: and meddle not with them that are given to change:


          If you’ve ever been betrayed by someone you have helped, then you know how painful that can be. You thought they were your friend but while you were at peace they were planning war against you. Such was the case with David in Psalm 35. God rewarded David for his prayers but He did not answer them because God knew that those he was praying for were planning his downfall.

          Two words are translated “meddle” in the Old Testament. One is the word garah which means “to root” like a hog who stirs up the soil looking for a truffle. The meaning is to stir up strife where there is none. The second word is ‘arab and it means “to braid” like strands of hair. It is easy to see that we should not blend our lives and purposes with those who stir up strife. It’s best to untie the braid.

          The pain of losing this kind of false friend is rooted not only in the betrayal, but also in discovering that we were blinded to their true nature. The friendship they offered falsely, we enjoyed truly. We feel the loss. Hurt turns to anger and anger to a calm wariness. We gradually learn the truth of Romans 5:3 which explains that tribulation produces patience and experience. Blisters turn to tough hide. We give away our heart with greater caution. Through it all we learn to trust in God who is always faithful and true.


Be Still, My Soul

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Dear Lord, let me be a true friend. Thank you for being a true friend to me. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment