Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2014

GEMS IN MY POCKET!


GEMS IN MY POCKET!


            First, let me explain that the following is what I call a “classic.” I’ve published this before and you may or may not have seen it. It is one of my personal favorites. I hope you enjoy it – again.

Mal 3:16-17
16 Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.
17 And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.


          Little boys, like myself, are gem collectors. We find pretty rocks in the gravel driveways of the world. These precious stones have been ignored and rolled over by the wheels of ignorance but it takes the mind of a little boy to know their true value! How many of these have been plucked from pockets on laundry day and cast aside only to be found again and recovered? Jewels are in the eye of the beholder.

          Preachers, like myself, are soul collectors. We find common souls with sparkles in the driveways of the world. These precious souls have been ignored and rolled over by the wheels of ignorance and carelessness but it takes the mind of a preacher to know their true value! When plucked from our pockets and cast aside we run to find them again. Precious souls are in the eye of the beholder. One such gem is an email from a former church member. He writes about the day he was saved and gives his old preacher way too much credit for it. If you will handle it with care, I will show it to you.

Hi Pastor Ron,

I said you had a "black & white" style but what I meant to say was that you were the type of preacher I needed. The day that I walked to the altar, you had tears in your eyes and you said, "I've been waiting for you Marty"

How wonderful it is to remember that day. I attended church for my wife up till then.  But, on Sundays, you were only talking to me (or it seemed that way) 

I never went to church other than Sundays. That day, the Lord grabbed me by the arm and said, let's go------me & you Marty!  

          You couldn't have stopped me from going no matter what. I couldn't wait for the call (and I always had thought that I would be embarrassed)

The rest is history as they say. 

Marty


          Did you see how this common rock sparkled? Do you understand why I have kept it safe in my pocket? Can you imagine the huge collection of shiny rocks in Jesus’ pocket? Can you even believe that one of them is you?

Dear Jesus, thank you for seeing something worthy in me. Thank you for picking me up off common ground and putting me amongst your jewels. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment