Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2020

ORWELLIAN THOUGHT CONTROL!


Sunday, June 28, 2020

ORWELLIAN THOUGHT CONTROL!

Prov 23:6-9
6 Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats:
7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
8 The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words.
9 Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.

           The word “Orwellian” in my title means characteristic of the writings of George Orwell, especially with reference to his dystopian account of a future totalitarian state in Nineteen Eighty-Four.

           I scanned my emails this morning and, once again, was told what to buy, which promo-code to use, how to vote, how urgently it is to donate NOW, and who to hate. I hadn’t even finished my coffee before I had been conditioned to be angry and disappointed at life. All this after a pretty good night’s sleep.

           Some guy named Phil sent an unsolicited email that said “ Some time ago you said you were interested in living longer and living better.” Honestly, I do not remember ever saying that! So, I replied to Phil and said: “Dear Phil, We have had Covid-19 (or not), riots, and the most ridiculous demands from an unthinking citizenry. Add a tornado in my small town, threats of a hurricane in the Gulf and a dust storm that has nearly shut my eyes, and I am no longer “interested in living longer and living better.” I’m not sure how you found me, but please unsubscribe me from your list.

           So many thought suggestions come our way that we no longer have to produce any original thought – and it shows! We CAN control our thinking and we should.

Phil 4:8
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Dear Lord, let your blessed Holy Spirit lead me into all truth according to your promise. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment