Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2020

A DESERT PLACE!


Saturday, June 6, 2020

A DESERT PLACE!

Mark 6:31-32
31 And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.
32 And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.

           It’s Saturday and this day has always been special to me. As a kid, it was a time to run barefoot through the Ohio grass and cool dusty soil. We would end the day with feet the color of earth and a “necklace” of sweaty dirt encircling our chubby necks. We emerged from the bath squeaky clean with wet hair and ready for bed. The bath water had turned to mud. As children, we didn’t know we were tired. Tired is not in a kid’s vocabulary. “Done” is what we were thinking, but we fell asleep fast and hard.

           Saturday is special to God as well. It was designed as a day of rest and even without a calendar or watch I “feel” that it is Saturday. Jesus invited His disciples into a ship to go to the desert! Now, if you are having a hard time blending water and desert, perhaps I should explain.

           The word desert does not necessarily mean a dry and desolate place. The Greek word is eremos and it indicates a place where there are no crowds of people.  The word “privately” is the word idios which means “one’s own.”

           Jesus was in the people business and often He retreated to places where He could be alone. People drained Him – literally! When the woman with an issue of blood (Luke 8:45-46) touched Him, he felt energy leave Him.

There is an old Negro spiritual that comes to mind.

Steal away, steal away
Steal away, steal away home
My Lord he calls me
He calls me by the thunder
The trumpet sounds within my soul
I ain't got long to stay here

Dear Lord, inhabit my desert places. Let my mind run barefoot in the cool dust of childhood. Refresh my spirit today. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment