Pages

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!


Wednesday, December 18, 2019

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

1 Kings 19:14
14 And he said, I have been very jealous for the Lord God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.

1 Kings 19:18-19
18 Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.
19 So he departed thence, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he with the twelfth: and Elijah passed by him, and cast his mantle upon him.

Judges 7:22
22 And the three hundred blew the trumpets, and the Lord set every man's sword against his fellow

           Two recurring traits of human frailty are highlighted in these verses. I’ll take the second first. For some strange reason, when the enemy attacks, friends will often turn on each other. I’ve seen it in church business meetings and in squabbles between husbands and wives. It doesn’t make sense, but we often respond with friendly fire.

           Another recurring trait found in those with heavy responsibilities is to think that they are working wearily alone. Elijah, that wonderfully effective but weary prophet, was certain that he was God’s last chance. He alone, he thought, had been faithful. He had exhausted himself, and God was bereft of His final faithful resource. It must have been quite humbling to hear God proclaim that he had 7,000 reserves!

           I am not God’s only resource! I am certainly not God’s final resource. In fact Elisha, the plow boy, performed twice as many miracles as did Elijah!  Elijah was called to his rest and Elisha picked up his mantle and parted the waters. That is a good thing.

Ps 68:11
11 The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it.

Dear Lord, withhold from me the pride and the pity of self accomplishment. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment