Pages

Monday, December 23, 2019

MY GROWN UP CHRISTMAS LIST!


Monday, December 23, 2019

MY GROWN UP CHRISTMAS LIST!

Phil 4:12
12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

Phil 4:18
18 But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.

           Paul had experienced both adequacy and deficiency. He knew how to respond to both conditions with grace and thanksgiving. The word “abased,” in verse 12 is literally humiliation and the word “abound” literally means “to cram full.” He had visited both extremes and found God residing at each place.

           Christmas is coming and there is almost an urgent need to have a need. I feel the pressure of it. I take pen in hand to write out my wish list and am suddenly afflicted with writer’s block! I can’t think of anything I need, and I can’t decide upon anything I want. I am full and abound.

           I’ve reached the age that values those things which can’t be wrapped in pretty paper and tied up with a bow. I cherish the love of friends and kin. I never quite get enough of that. I’ll put that at the top of my list. Next will be time. Time is that soft and unhurried space without appointments or disappointments. Yes, this belongs on my list. I long for a gathering of scattered family with laughter. I can’t find a box or bow adequate for these things.

Phil 4:19
19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Dear Lord, I am full of the gifts you have provided. Let me share with those who have little. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment