Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2019

INSTALLING CHRISTMAS!


Sunday, December 15, 2019

INSTALLING CHRISTMAS!

Luke 2:6-7
6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

           It’s Christmas time again and homes all over the neighborhood are decorated in honor of the Christ child – except for ours. I could, I guess, get one of those laser light things that casts dancing, multi-colored polka dots all over your house, your neighbor’s house and a few passing airplanes. Anyway, I am a traditionalist.

           I don’t do ladders anymore and our lives are in a bit of transition. We decided against the outdoor stuff but we do have a tree. Growing older is frustrating and it calls for simplicity. Three things are essential as you age: [1] Identity! Who am I apart from my career or calling? [2] Autonomy! Can I care for myself? Do I have a support system. [3] Purpose! What am I good at? Do I have any value?

           Thankfully, Mary and Joseph did not have to deal with all the discomforts of Christmas! All Mary had to do was to ride a donkey from Nazareth to Bethlehem which was a 90-mile, journey over rough roads with wild animals and robbers. No problem for a young woman who was ready to deliver her baby! At least they didn’t have to assemble an angel. God sent one already put together.

           I’m kidding, of course. Mary and Joseph suffered greatly to produce Christmas. All I have to do is install it.

Dear Lord, help me to think more clearly and thankfully about this hectic and difficult season. Thank you for the unspeakable gift of Jesus. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment