Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2019

EXCEEDING GREAT JOY!


Sunday, December 22, 2019

EXCEEDING GREAT JOY!

Matt 2:9-10
9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.

           Our King James Version has a British accent and describes events with British aplomb and decorum. In Texas, the three wise men would have shouted “Yee Haw!” In South Louisiana it would be reversed and they would issue a loud “Ah Yee.” You can almost hear the squeeze box and fiddles erupt. But in our Bible even “exceeding great joy” looks like polite applause! I often smile at this.

           These were Magi accustomed to the community of scholars and engaged in serious research. It was as if they had invented “flubber!” The discovery of a new star was revolutionary not only in astronomy but in its indication of a new king of Israel. Daniel, in his time, must have spoken of the rise of a Day Star visible even in the daylight. They had found it and would soon travel to find HIM.

           This was a guiding star. It moved and pointed their way. When it stopped, they knew they had found their quest. Their excitement exploded beyond their ability to restrain it. It exceeded! It would not be hushed.

           I once was lost, a sinner condemned, but Jesus saved me by His grace! I’m going to heaven eventually instead of hell and that requires much more from me than polite applause. It exceeds! It can’t be hushed.

Zeph 3:17
17 The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

Thank you, merciful Lord, for the gift of eternal life through the blood of Jesus! I have no words to describe my joy and my actions might suggest that I am out of control. My joy exceeds. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment