Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

PONDERING CHRISTMAS!


Tuesday, December 17, 2019

PONDERING CHRISTMAS!

Luke 2:16-19
16 And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. 17 And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. 18 And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. 19 But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

           It’s early morning. Darkness lingers but will soon be chased away by the sun. The tree is lit and so is the fireplace. My weather app says it is 28 degrees which is quite frigid for Texas. My first cup of coffee is gone and I am too lazy to get a second. It is still and quiet. It is the perfect atmosphere for pondering.

           The word “ponder” is the Greek sumballo and means “to converse; to consult; and to consider.” It is self-talk. It is a staff meeting of a corporation of one. I ponder a lot.

           I ponder the feeling of the absence of far flung friends. Even with modern travel and technology I miss the warmth of a real embrace and the encouragement of a smile instead of an electronic emoji or LOL.

           I ponder the past. Many things I might have done better with a stronger base of wisdom than I used at the time. How would things be different if I had made other choices?

           I ponder the present. I try to see the reasons why some act the way they do. Perhaps it is like Paul said in Romans 7, when he tried to do good “evil was present with him.” I ponder why some never complain although they have good reason to whine about their ills. Where is their store of strength? Can I tap into that as well?

           I ponder the future. I try to draw an imaginary line from each decision to its logical conclusion. I can’t see the twists, turns, and detours. The line is not a straight line at all. Only God knows the end of the road. Thankfully He is kind, loving, and purposeful. I will arrive at a good end in despite the detours.

Ps 73:24
24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.

Dear Lord, thank you for the quiet moments uncluttered by clamor and distraction. Thank you for the companionship of the Holy Spirit. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment