Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

WHAT CAN I GIVE?


Wednesday, November 27, 2019

WHAT CAN I GIVE?

Ps 116:12-14
12 What shall I render unto the Lord for all his benefits toward me?
13 I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.
14 I will pay my vows unto the Lord now in the presence of all his people.

           It’s Thanksgiving eve! Many preparations are underway for the grand feast tomorrow. Or, maybe it is not so grand for some. I know one couple who plan to “order” a full Thanksgiving meal from a chain restaurant. Some will eat alone. Most of us have already abandoned work and school or we are only giving those things minimal attention. We are already celebrating.

           Two “I will’s” are found in our Scripture today. Let’s look at each one carefully.

           I will take the cup of salvation. The Hebrew word for “cup” has the idea of “holding together.” The word for salvation is yeshuw’ah and we can easily hear the name of Jesus in that word. The best way to thank one who has benefited us so sacrificially is simply to take what He has offered. To reject salvation – JESUS – is to devalue His sacrifice and to wrongly assume we don’t need that gift. It is the opposite of giving thanks. It is a cruel insult.

           I will pay my vows! I will actually do what I have promised to do. I will do those things immediately and publicly. I will stop my hypocritical ways. I will stop pretending. Before the house becomes crowded with family and friends, take a few quiet moments to say thank you to Jesus.

Dear Lord, saying thank you seems such a small thing. My mind tells me to work and earn such an amazing gift but your Word only urges me to say thank you. Thank you, Lord. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment