Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2019

FROM PLOWMAN TO PROPHET!


Thursday, November 21, 2019

FROM PLOWMAN TO PROPHET!

1 Kings 19:18-21
18 Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.
19 So he departed thence, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he with the twelfth: and Elijah passed by him, and cast his mantle upon him.
20 And he left the oxen, and ran after Elijah, and said, Let me, I pray thee, kiss my father and my mother, and then I will follow thee. And he said unto him, Go back again: for what have I done to thee?
21 And he returned back from him, and took a yoke of oxen, and slew them, and boiled their flesh with the instruments of the oxen, and gave unto the people, and they did eat. Then he arose, and went after Elijah, and ministered unto him.

           On that rare and life-changing day, I wonder if Elisha felt some electric expectation in the air. Yonder comes the prophet, easily recognized by his robe. What would bring him to the farm on this day?

           Decisions have consequences and circumstances sometimes force us to make decisions. Elijah was an empty vessel. He had spent himself in ministry and had cast his prophet’s robe upon the shoulders of a plowman. Neither would ever be the same.

           Elisha’s request to say goodbye to family was both normal and reasonable but to the exhausted Elijah it sounded like hesitation – a lack of commitment. His comments were harsh. Yet, Elisha took only a bit of time to have one last family barbeque with a couple of the oxen. This was commitment. This was a clean break from the old life. He arose and went after Elijah.

           As you plow your fields today take notice of the electricity in the air. Smell the keen scent of Autumn turning to Winter! Keep a sharp eye out for Elijah because your life could suddenly and dramatically change.

Dear Lord, prepare me for whatever life-altering events are coming my way. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment