Pages

Monday, October 28, 2019

WHAT IS SPECIAL TO YOU?


Monday, October 28, 2019

WHAT IS SPECIAL TO YOU?

           When Paul urged Timothy to pay attention to his faith and his heritage in II Timothy 1:5, he was referring to the Scriptures taught to him by his mother and grandmother. In fact, the early Christians had, and was able to reference about two thirds of our New Testament writings. Paul said these were special.

           The word “especially” can be found in our King James Bible only five times. Three of those times the word is associated with the church. In all three of those references the word for especially is the Greek word malista which means “chiefly or most of all.” So, let’s briefly look at those three.

Gal 6:10
10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

           My church family is special! I don’t think anyone misunderstands the meaning here. As a believer, I am to “do good” but especially, chiefly, most of all, I am to do good to those who are of the household of faith. Primarily, I think, this means those members of my own church. Yes, my church family is special.

1 Tim 5:17
17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

           My Pastor is special – especially the teaching pastor. He feeds my soul and keeps me on the straight and narrow way. I do not worship him, but I do honor him greatly. He is God’s agent for my spiritual welfare. When I disrespect him I disrespect God’s agent. If you read verse 18 you will see that this honor extends even to his financial and material necessities.

2 Tim 4:13
13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

           My Bible is special! It must have been cold in Paul’s Roman prison and winter was coming on. He wanted his cloke. Books are a minister’s friends. He wanted his books for study but nothing, not even his winter coat, was more special than his Bible or parchments. In other words, if Timothy could bring nothing else to provide comfort for this prisoner, please bring the Bible.

           Is your church family special to you? Of all your circle of friends do they stand out in importance? How is your relationship with your pastor? He is God’s agent for your good. In a cold dungeon would you prefer your Bible or your overcoat? Special things should be specially considered.

Dear Lord, let me inventory all my special things and keep them as great treasure. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment