Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

IN DUE TIME!


Wednesday, October 9, 2019

IN DUE TIME!

Job 23:10
10 But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.

Jeremy Taylor, 1613 – 1667, was an English Bishop and devotional writer. He wrote: “Nothing is intolerable that is necessary. Now God has bound thy trouble upon thee, with a design to try thee, and with purposes to reward and crown thee. These cords thou canst not break; and therefore lie thou down gently, and suffer the hand of God to do what He pleases.”

I know a lady whose only desire was to love and be loved in return. Yet her first marriage was marked by such abuse that she is emotionally crippled to this very day. Her husband proved to be bi-sexual and would bring his male friends home for the purpose of wicked intentions with his wife. She escaped and went home to her parents for a while. Finally, she married again and found an outlet for her overflow of love by working with children in her local church. Why would God allow such as this?

The Apostle Paul, when confronted by the blinding light and the booming voice asked: “Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?” Most preachers, especially at their first call, sparkle with ambition. To do something is their great desire. They long to stand before the great cathedrals and address large crowds but, as often as not, they kneel by the waters edge and engage in conversation with ones like Lydia, the seller of purple, as she washes her fabric. Why would God disallow such an honorable ambition? Paul explains it himself in the following verses.

2 Cor 12:7-9
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. [So that I would not become conceited as a result of my special treatment by God.]
8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.

Could Paul have suspected his global and timeless impact while sitting in the dungeon with quill in hand? Could he know that he was writing a majority of Holy Scripture when he penned his letters to the churches? Could he even imagine that he was writing a minister’s manual when he wrote twice to Timothy and again to Titus? I think his wildest ambitions might have fallen far short of God’s purposes.

When God seems to mismanage our life and we sit frustrated in the dust of despair we can only rely upon the truth that He doeth all things well.

1 Peter 5:6-7
6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Dear Lord, I will lie me down gently and allow you to do what you please because I believe your purposes are best. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment